I So Do Not Have Time For This Shit!

Monday, July 24, 2006

I have been posting very little of late because I have been busy, busy, busy. Among other demands my husband and I are very engaged in house hunting. (More later on "the dumbening" and just why it is that all new houses seem to be built without the basic awareness that heat rises and cold falls.) But in one of my few spare moments I became aware that someone who commented on The Blogging Curmudgeon a while back was taking my inventory on his own blog. He's entitled but I think it is particularly telling that rather than respond to my response to his initial comment on my blog, where he started this exchange, he scurried back to his own blog to issue his retort without even alerting me. Shadow-boxing and air-guitar are fun hobbies too, I hear.

Here are the relevant links:

  • My own blog entry on the minimum wage, where Internet Esquire makes the case for expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit as a better option for the working poor by providing no data, and by providing a link to one of his own blog entries that contains no supporting data, but links to still another of his own blog entries that provides no supporting data.

  • Internet Esquire's response to... I don't know... a blow up doll he has of me maybe... in which he explains that not providing data to support his own arguments is his clever litmus test to determine who is "unbiased" enough to be his research monkey. He also provides a novel explanation for his butchery of the English language: I meant to do that.

  • Internet Esquire's next blog entry in a growing series of substance-avoidant misrepresentations of my views, in which he calls my belief that work should be valued and paid a living wage "pretentious" and "pollyannaish."

  • Internet Esquire's latest Curmudgette-centered blog entry, in which he mysteriously deduces that my desire for him to back up his contentions with facts means that I hate rich people, and attempts to use reverse psychology to keep me from ever taking apart his feeble rhetoric again.

That last is worth reading just for his explanation that responding to other bloggers on his own blog, rather than engaging them directly and with their knowledge, allows him to distill their ideas properly, provide clarification, and "find common ground with an adversary." (I guess it is easier to find common ground with people when you don't actually communicate with them.) Oh silly me. Here I thought it was a way to take them out of context, distort their meanings, and remain eternally self-satisfied.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I experienced the same thing a while back and came to the conclusion that it's not worth the bother. The arrogance of some people is unbelievable.

There is an unwritten manual on blogging ettiquette that most of us bloggers do follow. Slinking back to your own blog and dissing someone's post without alerting the blogger in question is cowardly and quite frankly, childish.

Curmudgette said...

Slinking back to your own blog and dissing someone's post without alerting the blogger in question is cowardly and quite frankly, childish.

And you know if he'd simply been taking apart a blog entry of mine I would not have minded in the least. It's that he was responding to my response to a comment he left here. I was speaking directly to him but he didn't have the guts to do the same. Oh how I hate passive aggressive bullshit.

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it... LOL
I know exactly what you're saying!