Harbingers of Watergate Redux

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Nixon Quits


Buy at AllPosters.com

Is it just me or is it too eerie that E. Howard Hunt has died on the same day that Scooter Libby's trial kicked off. And adding insult to injury, Bush is right now delivering his SOTU speech with the lowest poll numbers since Nixon at the height of the Watergate scandal.

As per the New York Times:

“This fellow Hunt,” President Richard M. Nixon muttered a few days after the June 1972 break-in, “he knows too damn much.”

That's the ultimate danger for administrations that avoid transparency at all costs and plot nefariously behind closed doors. Conspiracies eventually unwind; right down to the ugly knot. Then it's every man for himself. Today Scooter Libby threw the Bush Administration under a bus.

"They're trying to set me up. They want me to be the sacrificial lamb," attorney Theodore Wells said, recalling Libby's end of the conversation. "I will not be sacrificed so Karl Rove can be protected."

Meanwhile Booman has written another lucid, compelling argument for the inescapable wisdom of impeachment. Maybe I'm superstitious, but I think it's inevitable.

0 comments: