A Question of Ethos

Friday, May 19, 2006

Originally posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"I think, therefore I am." -- Rene Descartes

"If I am not for me, who will be? But if I am only for me, what am I? And if not now, when?" -- Hillel the Elder

"I am in earnest; I will not equivocate; I will not excuse; I will not retreat a single inch; and I will be heard." -- William Lloyd Garrison

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." -- William Ernest Henley

"I celebrate myself, and sing myself, And what I assume you shall assume, For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you." -- Walt Whitman

"I yam what I yam." -- Popeye

"Who the fuck are you?" -- Armando

Lesson for today: Never ask the hopelessly self-important what makes them so much better than the rest of us. The answer will invariably be profane.

0 comments: